Bibliohojustsays

Monday, March 12, 2007

Talk amongst yourselves

I want to start a group discussion.

So yesterday on the way to work we listened to KUOW's Weekday show You'll have to find the 3/12/007 episode.
Weekday is the call-in show on NPR, our local channel is KUOW. Midway, the producer from "Little Mosque On The Prairie" came on and in the discussion of the SCARF the hajib, she said "Then you take off your bras! Muslim women laugh at your taunts about the veil- you too are bound by men and society- you are not free" OK I'm reall-ly paraphrasing and if I could go listen to the links I'm sending, I could verify. But the clicks don't work for me. That's my interpretation and what I remember.

I've just been fascinated by this all day: Muslim women snigger at us 'cause we wear bras? They don't?
They hate us for our lift and separate, our x-your-heart, our underwire, our Victoria's Secret? WTF?


http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/


She had some really funny clips, "You can't go out looking like a Protestant" "Dad, don't you mean a prostitute?" "No, I mean a PROTESTANT."

I still don't quite know what to make of it.

oxoxo,
Tammy

2 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the first episode was quite funny

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you misunderstood--she wasn't saying that Muslim women don't wear bras, she was saying that our wearing bras is a symbol of our lack of freedom.
This argument is completely invalid, regardless of why we wear bras. Not once did she really discuss whether the scarf is a form of subjugation--she just turned the argument around to western women.
If I say "You are not X" and the other person says "Neither are you," she hasn't really disproved my statement. That's all this speaker did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home